There was once a time when I wasn't really into baseball, and now it's become an unhealthy portion of my life. There was also a time when I couldn't care less about the NFL, but now it's my premier offseason (with respect to baseball, of course) sport. However, I never have been and never will be sucked into the Madness of March, despite my often fleeting interest in the tournament. For example, last night Siena beat Ohio State in 2OT, and I have to admit that I was getting somewhat emotionally invested in it. But this is ONLY because Siena's like, what, 25 minuets away from my house? and I always root for my home teams. So yeah. I do the same with Syracuse, but to a lesser extent. As long as the local teams are representing the great Upstate I'll keep watch, but as soon as they're done, I couldn't care less about Final Fours or brackets or what have you.
Why is that? Because for me March is about getting prepped for the upcoming MLB season. Surprisingly, I haven't followed Spring Training all too closely this year because every moment of it makes me want the regular season more and more. Well luckily the World Baseball Classic appeared to fill that void (well, somewhat). Ah, the WBC...
Long story short, I started out seeing it as meaningless exhibition, but I've since changed my tune. This stuff is real to everyone else in the world. I have to say that I'm somewhat jealous that, oh, Venezuela and Puerto Rico, for example, seem to have more national pride in this than I do (and our athletes). It's not meaningless--a ton of pride is at stake, and if the US is the only country in the world who thinks otherwise, well, we're the odd ones out.
That being said, go Team USA!