28 June 2008

From the Bronx to Queens

So Sidney Ponson was the unlikely hero for the Yankees last night, throwing six shutout innings in a 9-0 dominance of Pedro Martinez and the Mets. Ponson's highlights included getting out of two bases-loaded jams. Really, Mets? Really?

I suppose it was just the law of averages in action, though. Earlier in the day during the Yankee Stadium portion of the doubleheader, Carlos Delgado had a 9-RBI day in the thrashing of Yankee pitching. He made all kinds of history with it too. Meh.

You know, despite how much of a pain it was for the managers' handling of their rotation and bullpen, I think the crosstown doubleheader was pretty cool. I agree with analysts and fans in saying that this is something that should be scheduled annually. Maybe for the last two games of the final set and right before an off-day? I'm sure the schedulers could work it out if they want to (they'd definitely do it if the Red Sox were involved...)

And while we're talking about New York, I think this is kinda silly.