A quick look at the baseball world:
- Pitchers and catchers begin reporting in under two days! I realized in class this afternoon how much I'm missing this sport.
- Despite what I posted a few weeks ago, Erik Bedard wasn't officially a Mariner until recently. I like this move because it removes another Yankee-killer Oriole out of the division. The Mariners should like this move because it definitely strengthens their rotation; check out the one-two punch of King Felix and Bedard. But will it matter? The Angels will still be a force, and the Wild Card is not going to be simple to grab with intra-division powerhouses like the Yanks/Sox and Tigers/Indians.
- Although I said I wouldn't spend anymore time on it, I suppose I should mention the antics of Clemens and McNamee. Clemens testified, denying all allegations. Then McNamee said he had proof...which turned out to be some pictures. Give me a break, guys.
- Poor Curt Schilling may need season-ending surgery on his shoulder. The Red Sox just want him to work it off, but that may not be an option. Personally, although he's not as stellar as he used to be, I wouldn't mind seeing him sidelined for 2008. A rotation of Beckett, Matsuzaka, Wakefield (ha), Buchholz, and Lester doesn't scare me at all.
- What's CNN's obsession with the significance of independent voters? I'm pretty sure that, regardless of the election, those in the middle are always the ones who decide the outcome. All of this hype over "Independents' Day" and how it may reshape the face of American politics is a complete overreaction.
- On Obama's victory speech after his recent sweep: Anyone who says he's all fluff and no substance is really closing their ears now. That speech was 10% rhetoric and 90% policy--he spoke very clearly on education, health care, immigration, foreign policy, and a number of other hot topics. His campaign manager should be commended for his excellent work.