14 February 2008

My life as a liberal arts major

I haven't had a schedule this lacking in the math and sciences since high school. But it's not that bad; in fact, it's serving as a perfect wrap-up to my undergraduate career because it reviews a number of topics I've been interested in for awhile:
  • 17.317 (U.S. Social Policy) - Believe it or not, social policy is the domestic political area that I'm the least clear on. So not only will this class round me out in this subject, but it will also aid me with the upcoming election, since health care and social security are hot debate topics.

  • 24.00 (Problems of Philosophy) - I haven't had a good philosophical debate since I stopped visiting a certain group of forums during my junior year of high school. It's refreshing to be able to think about this stuff once again.

  • 18.06 (Linear Algebra) - As a controls engineer, I should have a solid background in this topic. However, I've managed to go through my education by learning it indirectly through various applications. A little theory can't hurt, can it?
That's that. I'm going to have papers up the wazoo and may even wish for more than one weekly problem set (I say that now...). And despite how I felt last week, I'm starting to miss the Aero/Astro building. Today I committed myself to helping out the old 16.82 team regularly so I can stay in the Course 16 mood. Yes folks, you heard that correctly: I'm voluntarily participating in the class that helped to eat me alive last term (please put me in a straitjacket).

The Yankees reported to the newly-dubbed Steinbrenner Field today (as opposed to the older Steinbrenner Stadium which sits across the river from Fenway Park). That means about two weeks until the first game! This season couldn't get started any sooner.

And in closing, I saw Jumper tonight. Let's just say that Rachel Bilson was the best part (and that's referring to her presence, not her acting).

Until the weekend...!