27 August 2008

Mid-Orientation update

And it is again that time of year when am so busy that I'm unable to post much of anything. Orientation started on Monday, and for once I'm talking about graduate orientation and not undergraduate. In fact, I've never felt so detached from the undergrad thing in any of my four years here; I suppose this is what growing up is about. But it's been fun so far--watching movies at late hours of the night, finding as much free food as possible, and getting told by three separate admins that MIT grad school is, in short, a nightmare. Awesome!

Ok, so I haven't completely neglected undergrad orientation. I did play Ultimate the other night, despite my right need being sore and a strained ligament in my left leg. But it's Ultimate, so I toughed it out.

The Olympics are over. From a wide perspective, I think it's a pretty grand celebration of sport. It's really cool how all these athletes from around the world come together and compete for who's the best; it simultaneously brings a great sense of world and national pride. As for the host nation? Sorry China--I didn't buy it. Between all of the opening ceremony illusions and the "issues" with gymnastics, I was kinda turned off. The country has a lot of problems that were only highlighted by the many scandals that popped up. Oh, and the closing ceremonies were pretty...uhhh...strange.

Baseball is nearing its final month, and I am afraid for both my teams. The Yankees are in a must-sweep series against the Sox. But they forgot about this and instead put on yet another pathetic offensive display last night; thanks to Johnny Damon for being 2/3 of the runs. Arod led the disaster by totally failing in a number of big spots (such as GIDP with the bases loaded by swinging at a ball almost in the dirt. Where's the plate approach there, Alex?) I usually defend the guy, but not even I can ignore the fact that he's all out horrible in the "clutch" this season. Perhaps there's something to him only winning the MVP in odd-numbered years?

Oh, and meanwhile, the Twins took the first two in Anaheim (amazing), dropped the final two (understandable), and now are on the verge of getting swept by the Mariners (unacceptable). I don't get how the M's have the Twinks' number, but they need to forget it. Right now. Minnesota has no business contunouly losing to the worst team in the AL if they plan on taking the division.

Well, that's that. Excuse the brevity and any typos--I'm kinda in a hurry.