21 August 2008

Olympic track wrap

Are you kidding me? Were both American 4x100 relays really eliminated in the semis due to disqualifications for dropping the batons? Wow, America. Just wow. It's bad enough to get beaten left and right by a simply explosive Jamaican team, but to beat yourself on fundamentals? It's like they've been watching the 2008 Yankees or something!

I remember relay practice back in high school. We'd practice handoffs like crazy, and if you dropped the baton you'd get pushups and have to start all over again. They really should be simple things with adequate practice, and what the Americans did was inexcusable. For the men--Patton let go before he was sure that Tyson Gay had a grip on it. And for the ladies, Lauyrn Williams was in error by not clinching the baton as soon as it touched her hand (but I will give her props for picking it up and running to the finish line). Both were mistakes that pros at the Olympics just shouldn't make. And honestly, I'm still in shock.

Congratulations to the US men for sweeping the medals in the 400m, although the outcome was not as expected. There was Jeremy Wariner, claiming that he was going to break Johnson's record, finishing in a solid 2nd place behind teammate LaShawn Merrit. Congrats to Merrit for running the best race on the track. And also, nice job to 3rd place Dave Neville for diving into the finish. As for Wariner? He died out completely in the home stretch and didn't look right at all. That's too bad; maybe next time, Jeremy.

And finally, congrats to US men David Payne and David Oliver for taking 2-3 in my favorite race: the 110m hurdles. They should be very proud of themselves since 1st place Dayron Robles of Cuba was unstoppable. That guy had absolutely impeccable form and totally deserved that gold. Damn. It's making me nostalgic.

I'd like to take a moment here to complain about NBC again. I'm really turned off by how they feel the need to interview athletes (especially the Americans) after they lose...even when that loss is heartbreaking. Lolo Jones handled it the best and I already gave her credit for it yesterday. But asking the 4th legs of the 4x100s how they feel? How the hell do you think they feel? They just got DQ'd at the largest meet in the world due to stupid mental mistakes! If I were the athletes I'd refuse to interview. Same for Wariner--you know he was crushed, but they still felt the need to probe. Look, I understand you want to get the story, but there is a line you just don't cross. Apparently NBC never got that memo. Shame on them.

And on a totally unrelated note: Am I the only one not super excited over the Obama VP business?