After winning for Moose yesterday, the Yankees looked for a series split against the Angels...behind Darrell Rasner. Erm. However, a rally in the 6th pulled them within one, and an explosion in the 7th set up by a slew of Angels errors (!) and capped by a Xavier Nady 3-run shot put them safely ahead 8-5. That is, until Edwar wasn't sharp and gave up a 2-out grand slam to Mark Teixiera. However, to futher prove that this season is spaztic, Scot Shields, who usually dominates the Yankees, was responsible for the blown save in the bottom of the 8th. A single by Pudge, some sharp running by Justin Christian, some walks, and more Angels errors led to a 6-run frame for the Yanks. Jose Veras pitched the 9th, and just like that the Yanks rallied twice to split the series with the Angels 14-9. Talk about a clutch victory! The team heroes were Dan Giese in relief of Rasner and Xavier Nady who was 4-5 with 6 RBIs.
---------------------------------------
The plan to see yesterday's game failed somewhat. Turns out, I could redeem my Opening Day tickets for day-of seats only if I paid the difference, and since that difference was some $200 a pop, we decided to pass. So Jon and I instead decided to wander around Manhattan. It was a nice day, so it still worked out. Let's see: the Apple Store is amazing, the Nintendo Store was a disappointment, and why on earth was there a line around the block to get into Abercrombie and Fitch?! Who knows. Oh, and the iPhone's GPS is more clutch than Derek Jeter circa pre-2008.
Funny story: I got on the D-train at Grand St. in lower Manhattan, and I told Jon (who was coming in at Penn Station) to just meet me at the Stadium. Yet I had this feeling that, due to the improbability of it all, we would end up running into each other before then. Well, I stepped off the train when it arrived at 161st, turned to my left, and lo and behold, there was a guy wearing the Greek letters "zeta" and "psi" on his shirt: it was Mr. Estrada! He was just two cars in front of me. Haha, what are the chances?