- Wanted them to win like crazy;
- Thought it was a huge injustice to make them play in the bitter cold;
- Went dead silent when the Packs scored the first touchdown of the game to lead 7-6;
- Jumped out of my seat and uttered certain words during that horrible interception-fumble play;
- Almost DIED when Tynes missed the 36-yard field goal;
- Was incredibly pissed about losing the OT coin toss;
- Found it GLORIOUS when Corey Webster made Brett Farve look like an early season Eli, and
- Reveled in the EPICNESS of Tynes kicking the most beautiful 47-yarder ever
The ironic thing is that even though everyone in the house knows I don't follow football closely at all, my reactions still led to guys asking me questions to which I didn't know the answer. And despite the fact that I usually responded with, "I don't know", they'd quickly forget and ask me something else soon afterwards. Eh, what can I say...I get passionate about sports. And although I'm nowhere near as into the Giants as I am the Yankees, I'll probably be watching the Big Blue intently as soon as the Bronx Bombers win their 27th next fall (just don't let my dad know.)
For Super Bowl XLII, we will have New York vs. New England (Boston) in yet another critical match-up. It was Yanks/Sox that caused me to give my soul to baseball; will Giants/Pats force me to give part of it to football? Probably not, since I was already a casual watcher beforehand. But so much is at stake for this game! All members of RSN are Pats fans, and they see this as a chance for their favored team to flatten the underdogs, essentially proving Boston dominance over New York once again. We cannot give them that satisfaction! We must CRUSH their hopes for a perfect season to remind them of the superior city! Super Bowl XLII isn't just another championship game--it's a key chapter in a rivalry between two cities. So much rests on this, and that should be enough to get anyone pumped.
Oh, and also, I'd like all New England fans to put aside their blinders and realize that, the last time these two teams met, the Giants led into the third quarter and only lost against the immortal Pats by a mere three points. One of them tried to tell me yesterday that the game was a blowout. Give me a break. Eli gave Brady a run for his money, and I expect him to play with the same intensity in two weeks.
Being the underdog is awesome. Let's go GIANTS!
-----------------------------------
So today is Martin Luther King Jr. day. All of the presidential candidates are honoring the American leader in one way or another. The democrats are definitely in on this with debates tonight and a primary in a few days that will be heavily swayed by the black vote. So let's talk about the democratic candidates and their courting of the South Carolina black community. First off, the media may be blowing this "racial divide" issue way out of proportion. I apologize that the black community is no longer appearing as one solid voting bloc. But isn't it better that way? I've always hated the mentality that everyone of the same ethnic/gender category must think exactly the same. Whereas Hillary is popular amongst the older generation who thinks she's a Bill clone, the younger generation, who doesn't look to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson for continual guidance, prefers Obama for probably more rational reasons. I think that's pretty healthy.
One painfully ironic card that the old folks are playing is the race card itself. Cries that Obama "isn't really black" are self-defeating and discouraging beyond all hell. It doesn't make sense to me. The American Dream, shared by all citizens of this country, is to rise up from any childhood hardship and become successful and self-sufficient. And yet, when an African-American does this, his own ethic community criticizes him and revokes his "membership" because clearly he thinks he's better than everyone else due to the fact that he's no longer struggling in the projects. In fact, a black mayor of a SC city said on CNN, "Bill Clinton is just as black as Barack Obama [...] He grew up in Arkansas around black people." Right...that makes so much sense. And the black community wonders why it hasn't progressed as much as its Jewish and Hispanic counterparts. Well, for one, they don't hold self-hating mentalities. *Sigh* I don't think Dr. King would be too proud of this scenario at all.
Let's end this one on a less serious note. Eddie and I are ALMOST done with Tales of Legendia...or so we hope. This game is clearly geared at a younger audience, since the characters love flaunting how they're all 15-18 years old, and because it's SO EASY. All enemies and every major boss have been complete jokes. Give me a break, Namco. It's like they used all of their genius in making Symphonia and then totally lost it.
Tonight we watch Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Hurrah!