Yesterday, the Minnesota Twins gave Justin Morneau, their headlining first baseman and 2006 MVP, a 6-year deal worth $80M; it is the longest and most expensive contract in club history. Outfielder Micheal "Cuddy" Cuddyer signed a 3-year deal for $24M with a $10.5M club option for 2011. After losing Twins lifer Torii Hunter to free agency this offseason, I'm happy to see the front office show that they do have some loyalty to their core players. So will this change of heart extend to the city's best hurler? Says Bill Smith:
"This deal does not affect other players. And I don't think it's any great dramatic change in philosophy. These two deals are set for these players. I think you have to take each [player] individually."
Morneau turns 27 this year, so he'll be slated to be in Minnesota until 32. For a fielder in the AL, there's nothing unreasonable about that. In contrast, a mid-30's Santana may not be worth the money. I wish Johan would lessen his demands and be happy with 4-years. Thank you, Scott Boras, for having Barry Zito set a ridiculous bar for quality pitchers.
The Yankees are very close to keeping Robinson Cano in the Bronx through 2011 for $30M, along with one or two club options for afterwards. Clearly, I like this. Not only are we retaining the young talent, but Robbie will still be in pinstripes when his bat reaches its full potential. Awesome (man, where would 2005 have been without Cano).
So I go to Yahoo News yesterday and see the following homepage layout:
Since when did Yahoo sell out to Steve Jobs? And what you don't see with the screencap is that the thing was animated; not only was the page being stretched for a blatant Leopard ad, but it also moved and talked. Give me a break.
SC polls close in just over an hour. Will Obama be delivered the win? And if Edwards crashes and burns, what will be his next move?