15 January 2008

Super Smash Brothers Forever

The biggest news of the day arrived at 2am, and I discovered it in the following manner:

The official Super Smash Brothers Brawl site got updated, so I clicked on my RSS feed link to go to the page about the Pikmin level. "Great," I thought, "But this doesn't seem complete. There HAS to be a delay announcement today or never." After all, being the pessimist about this situation that I am, the idea of Brawl being in my hands during the second week of term always seemed unlikely. I clicked on the link to the main page to confirm my hunch, and sure enough, what did I run into?

Because I had been expecting this, I had no reaction at first. Then I thought about it a little longer and started cracking up; I definitely called this months ago. The best response came from Mr. Steve Carlin, to whom I initially sent a text message. He got back to me over AIM with the following:

anephilim41: WHAT THE FUCK
anephilim41: AGGGHHHHHH
anephilim41: i was in BED
anephilim41: i was SLEEPING
anephilim41: nintendo just ruined SLEEP

...which sent me into a good fit of laughter.

But I think I get it now. On February 10th, another notice will be released informing us that Brawl has been delayed yet again to April 5th. And then, on the first of that month, Nintendo will reveal that the entire campaign was the most elaborate hoax in gaming history; all of the screenshots, movies, and demos were made on their own and not pulled from any game. "Didn't you guys catch on when we included Captain Olimar? Snake and Sonic may have been subtle, but Olimar? Come on guys!" is what they'll say. And I'll laugh initially...that is, before I gather up my pitchfork and join the riots at Nintendo HQ.

(Yeah yeah, I know the Japanese version is still due on the last of this January. But you have to admit that the hoax scenario would be pretty amusing.)

Perhaps the imminent delay wasn't truly the biggest news, but it ranked up there. We also had:

BASEBALL--Congress called in Senator Mitchell in to answer questions regarding his report. I stopped watching as soon as one congressman talked about the "Chicago Black Hawk" scandal, the steroid usage of "Rafael Palmeri", and said that steroids give players an "unbelievable advantage" over others. I have a grasp on why Congress is interested in this problem, but can the people on the committee at least know a thing or two about the sport?

POLITICS--Mitt Romney won the Michigan primaries with 39% of the vote over McCain's 30%. This gives him a total of 46 delegates, ahead of Huckabee's 19. Hillary "won" the meaningless democratic contest, but "Uncommitted" came in with a close second, being only 15 percentage points behind (:-p). There was also a democratic debate in NV that I'll analyze tomorrow.