25 April 2008

A bad baseball day

Two nights ago Mike Mussina returned to his proper 2008 form and pitched 7 innings of 2-run ball over the White Sox. Then, last night, Phil Hughes may have been on his way to doing the same, but he faced a different kind of bad luck. Rain came in, Girardi pulled him after the delay, the the bullpen totally collapsed (and by "collapsed", I mean it was so bad that Joba Chamberlain was handed the loss. DFA him!) Actually, I want to spend a little more time on that. Why is the new Joe opposed to IBBs? If they had walked Crede, perhaps they would have had a chance for the double play to end the inning; Swisher wasn't having a good series, anyway. But come on Giriardi. These kinds of miscues can be considered learning experiences in April, but they absolutely cannot continue past this point.

The Twins also got beat up last night. Francisco Liriano only went 2/3 of an inning and gave up six runs on five hits. I really hope this inconsistency will be fleeting and isn't going to be a long-term effect of his surgery.

Due to the Yanks playing in Chicago, I had to endure the lovely announcing of Hawk Harrelson for the past series. This guy is probably one of the most unprofessional broadcasters out there. Not only does he constantly refer to the home team as the "good guys" and the visitors as the "bad guys", but I have never heard anyone as biased as he is for play calls. If the White Sox do anything good, he pretty much shouts at the top of his lungs. Yet, if it's the opposing team, we get a funeral dirge. For example, when Melky hit his homerun, the call when like this:

"The ball is hit hard... ... ... ...yup..."

Give me a break. But, it's good to know that out-of-towners aren't the only ones who can't stand this. Apparently the Hawk isn't too popular inside the Second City, either. I suppose all White Sox fans aren't irrational, after all.