26 April 2008

Extras! (and baseball wrap)

A number of games around the majors went into bonus cantos last night. They were:
  • BOS @ TB. A Rays walk-off win in the 11th off of Mike Timlin sent the Red Sox into a 3-game losing streak.

  • MIN @ TEX. Boy, do the Rangers suck, and it's not very comforting to hear that they snapped a seven-game losing streak with the help of Juan Rincon and the Twins. This was all despite a Justin Morneau 5 RBI day (including a grand slam).

  • FLA @ MIL. This game was tied at zeros until the 10th, when a Marlins rally scored three runs in the top of the inning and ultimately led to a win.

  • COL @ LAD. Joe Torre's new team ended it in the 13th with a walk-off sac fly. Now if only Joe Torre's old team could pull of this sort of magic...
Also noteworthy from around MLB:
> The Yankees are on a pretty pitiful losing streak. The pitching can't handle the job, and the offense isn't helping too much. Yesterday, the score went from 3-1 Yanks to 5-3 Indians in a matter of minutes, as Andy Pettitte gave up two homers with two outs in the 5th. And today, despite a gritty outing by Ian Kennedy, the only run support came from a Jorge Posada bases-loaded triple. Meanwhile, 23 men were left on base, and Russ Ohlendorf allowed yet another walk-off hit. Unbelievable. Hey, at least Billy Traber was sent back down. But oh wait--now we have no lefty in the pen. Is it ever possible for the Yankees to have a consistently good April?

(Remember what I said about the bullpen during the offseason? It's all coming true...)

> Randy Johnson returned to the mound for the Diamondbacks yesterday. His line was: 6IP, 3H, 1R, 2BB, and 7K. Not to bad for his first time pitching in months.

> Here's a belated congrats to the Cubs for winning their 10,000th game as a franchise a few days ago. They join only the Giants in this elusive club.

> Know when to pull your phenoms, Francona. Clay Buchholz looked like he was going to throw a complete game, 1-hit shutout over Tampa Bay just now, but he gave up a hit and a homerun in the bottom of the 8th, leading the Rays to a 2-1 victory over Boston. At least their bullpen got a rest. And too bad the Yanks are losing too...
--------------------------------------------

From it being 81 degrees on Wednesday, the high dropped to 75 on Thursday, to 71 yesterday, to 50ish today. It's depressing--I thought real spring was finally here. Oh well. At least the trees are finally blooming; are they behind this year or what? I'd rather not be caught in seasonal limbo for any longer.

Oh, and the list of crazy foods I've tried increased by one last night. For those of you who don't know, I have this tendency to purchase strange-sounding snacks and drinks that have a 99% chance of being completely awful. Then why do I do it? So I can tell the story, of course! To recap:
  1. Apple Pie Snapple - I had free money to spend after my CPW in 2004, so I just had to buy this. And yes, that's apple pie, not just apple. Needless to say, it was awful. Words cannot describe.

  2. Cinnabon cookies - I'm not a huge Cinnabon fan to begin with, but LaVerde's was selling them and I said what the hell. The verdict? They were sickeningly sweet and had a very strange consistency. I ate one of the four.

  3. Milky Way milkshake - It was like someone melted a Milky Way candy bar and stuck it in a bottle. I think I had a sip and had to throw the rest away.

  4. Chocolate Skittles - This was actually sorta an accident; I thought I was buying M&Ms initially. Oops. Out of all the flavors--vanilla, caramel, s'mores, pudding, and brownie batter--I thought the first three would be worth it. I was wrong. I mean, they were okay, but it was still strange to eat those flavors in skittles. Furthermore, unlike the normal version of this candy, you could NOT haphazardly throw a bunch of these into your mouth at the same time: the resulting taste was disgusting. Neither I nor the rest of Zeta Psi could finish the bag.
And introducing: A&W Root Beer Float. And I'm talking about a "float" sold in a bottle. It tasted like flat soda with a thick and bitter vanilla aftertaste. Yeah, not appealing at all. It wasn't worse than the Milky Way concoction, but it was pretty damn close.

(What's next? Ha ha ha.)