08 December 2007

It is Done

...Well, sorta.

The Detailed Design Review went really well on Thursday. Despite having to sit through two 1.25 hour long powerpoints, we (Team Cardinal) got excellent feedback from our professors and from the Lockheed Skunkworks executives who were there. It felt awesome, and it was even better that we were done with the bulk of the class! Wahoo!

16.31 on Friday wasn't really a class--we just ran the quansers through an obstacle course using our Lab 2 controllers. Dan and I didn't compete because we figured we didn't have a shot at winning anyway. Oh well. And after that...

I was done! Err, kinda. I still have papers to finish in .82, .622, and 17.263, but they're nothing compared to what I've already been through. To celebrate, I went to the Galleria to pick up a new Yankees winter hat and At World's End. I came back with the desired items, PLUS:
  • A new wiffleball,
  • The Oxford Guide to the Supreme Court (it was only $10!)
  • Final Fantasy XII
Impulse buying? Perhaps. My pocket would feel an even larger blow that evening, when some of the .82 crew (Holly, Janine, Erik, Andrew, and myself) went to the Cactus Club in Boston for a little celebrating. I had two run-ins with RSN last night:
  • The bouncers, during the ID check, say to me, "Sorry, but you'll have to take off that hat inside." I thought they were talking about hats in general until another one goes, "Yeah, no Yankees! You shouldn't wear that around here at all! Harharhar!" I just laughed it off with them.

  • Some random dude comes up to me later on and says, "Could I please ask you to take that hat off? We don't want Yankees fans here." This time, my response was: "Dude, you guys have your World Championship. Give me a break," to which he laughed, shook my hand, and walked away.
On second thought, perhaps wearing Yankees gear in a bar in Back Bay isn't a good idea to begin with? Oh well.

The house is quiet: everyone except for me and probably five others are on the annual Winter Retreat. I should get work done now, but there's so much time--FFXII calls!

----------------

As for baseball news in brief:
  • Barry Bonds pleaded not guilty to perjury and obstruction of justice. That's great, Barry. I hope the pending trial makes your "retirement" from the sport official.

  • The Winter Meetings ended quietly. The biggest splash came from the Marlins and Tigers; Johan Santana didn't make a move. And you know what? I don't think he will. Bill Smith had some cards, overplayed them, and then realized he made a huge mistake from which he could not recover. Perhaps now he works to resign his ace? We'll see.

  • Andy Pettitte, Michael Barrett, and Mark Loretta all accepted salary arbitration, meaning they'll be returning to the Yankees, Padres, and Astros respectively for 2008. Luis "The Viz" Vizcaino did not accept arbitration, meaning that the Yanks' pen is in even more shambles than it initially was. Yikes.

  • And speaking of the Yanks, did you know they made these moves over the past week?


    Acquired RHP Jonathan Albaladejo from the Washington Nationals in exchange for RHP Tyler Clippard.



    Signed C Jose Molina to a two-year contract; Designated 1B Andy Phillips for assignment.