In other words, the opening "now" modifies "made glorious", making the entire sentence one of happiness and not gloom. So you no longer have an excuse to use the truncated line; if I hear you say it you get an 'F' on the day.
I think today is Saturday. But it also could be Thursday. Or maybe Sunday? I am completely disoriented with respect to time right now. I think the combination of the hiring event on the awkward days of Thursday and Friday and the fact that I haven't been able to just chill out since the end of Thanksgiving weekend has me thrown off entirely. And since I spent most of today working on .622 and will continue tomorrow, it will probably only get worse. But honestly, when you're as hosed as I am, every day's a Tuesday!
December wasted no time getting here this morning. The high was a mere 30 degrees with wind chill probably bringing it into single digits. Awesome. And what a contrast it was to the 45 of yesterday. After 21 years of this I'm STILL not used to northeastern weather.
On to the 365-day sport. Something's been bothering me as of late and I want to know what you think. What is the reason for this recent trend of teams trading away amazing young talent (usually pitchers) right before they hit free agency? The GM's rationale is, of course, that it's in the best interest of the club to get players who are major-league ready as opposed to compensatory draft picks. And why not just keep the star young pitcher? Oh, because he's going to ask for too much money.
Wait...what?
No team is going to be made completely of superstars, so I don't think it's unreasonable so say that each one should have at least one headliner on its roster. Yeah, he'll ask for lots of money. Fine. But unless you're the Marlins, doesn't it make sense to keep him, have him continue to dominate, and then continue to profit from the media attention? (I'm looking at YOU, Twins.) Because otherwise the team essentially becomes a farm for the entire MLB--raising amazing arms only to get rid of them before they mature. And honestly, if that's your only purpose, you can't possibly have the goal of winning and are therefore just a waste of space in the sport. Is this phenomenon a result of free-agency, no salary cap, or both? And what do you make of its implications?
---------
Believe it or not, other things have been going on in baseball other than Johan Santana (!).
anephilim41: by the way, can we talk about how stupid omar minaya is?
anephilim41: that lastings milledge trade is the dumbest shit i've read in a while
Thank you, Steve. Omar Minaya's trade of 22 year old OF Lastings Milledge has the other side of NY up in arms. Indeed, I can't say I understand it completely myself.
anephilim41: when i first read it i was thinking something along the lines of the delmon young trade
anephilim41: lose a high-ceiling hitter, but get a solid #3 in return
anephilim41: because god knows they need starting pitching
anephilim41: instead
anephilim41: they get a decent hitting outfielder
anephilim41: and an inferior catcher
anephilim41: way to go
anephilim41: TEH NEW METS
And from the Hot Stove...! Nope. Nothing. I'm done with it. This Santana business has gotten out of control. A writer for the StarTribune said today that he was more or less guessing when he reported the Yankees were offering Hughes, Cabrera and Kennedy to the Twins (haven't you heard? Apparently the Twins want Hughes, Melky, another one of the Big Three, AND minor leaguers!) Did he start this recent string of news? Who knows. Rumor also has it that the Twins are talking to the Red Sox this weekend about including Ellsbury in their package, which would elevate their offer over that of the Yankees. But I thought Johan already said he would veto any trade to the Sox? Who's telling the truth here?!
The only fact is that no one, other than the GMs, truly knows what's going on. I pretty much have expressed all of my opinions on the subject over the past few days. It's for that reason that I won't be reporting any more trade winds unless it comes directly from a named executive's mouth. Winter Meetings, anyone?
Zeta Psi's having a Wild Wild West party tonight. What the hell does that even mean? Who knows. But I'm on setup duty which beings right now. Until later, kids.