04 December 2007

Yanks pull out of trade talks for Twins ace

by Ed Price/The Star-Ledger
4:01 PM

The Yankees have pulled out of trade talks for Minnesota Twins ace Johan Santana.

"(Hank Steinbrenner) closed the door on the Santana thing," a high-ranking Yankees official said today. "The Santana thing's over."

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Yankees are trying to limit public comments. Hank Steinbrenner, the team's senior vice president, would not comment on Santana.

The official did not explain why the Yankees withdrew from discussions, but on Monday night, the Twins went back to the Boston Red Sox after the Yankees again refused to include pitcher Ian Kennedy along with right-hander Phil Hughes and outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The Yankees do have a history of closing doors and re-opening them: on acquiring Randy Johnson from Arizona and on re-signing Alex Rodriguez after he opted out of his contract.

But for now, their rotation lines up with Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain.

"I'm very pleased, very happy Andy (Pettitte) is coming back," Steinbrenner said. "I'd be happy with (the rotation as it is now), especially as time goes on, even as the season goes on. We'll get better and better."

The official indicated the Yankees will switch to addressing their bullpen.

"There's a lot of things we're still going to work on," he said.

At last report, the Boston Red Sox were waiting to hear back after having given the Twins a choice of two offers: pitcher Jon Lester and center fielder Coco Crisp plus prospects or outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury plus a larger package of prospects.

In a few hours, I may be quite ashamed to consider myself a Twins fan. Bill Smith would rather have Lester, Crisp, and mid-level prospects OR Ellsbury and the same prospects INSTEAD OF Hughes, Melky, and high-level young talent. Ha. Ha ha. Everyone in baseball is laughing at the rookie GM now. "Can't he see how much he's getting played? He has to realize that he's taking the inferior offer, right?" they all ask. But the answer to those and all related questions must be a simple "no." Wow. Theo Epstein may be about to land the best pitcher in baseball for no major loss. Damn.

I must admit that Hank Steinbrenner didn't help the situation with his big, bold, and rude comments. He was out of line and out of his element: you don't call-out someone in public and expect to conduct business with them, especially when you aren't the general manager who has the job of dealing with that side of things, anyway. On top of that, he tried to pretty much intimidate a new GM. Hey Hank--no one responds to that type of treatment favorably. Bill Smith didn't want the reputation of being spineless, so he had nothing to do but put up a cold shoulder and stand up to Stein. Haha, but who's really getting "told" here? Looks like his pride and emotions have put him on the verge of making the worst decision possible...

At the same time, the Yankees had the right to lash out as they did (if only they kept it behind closed doors.) This "Yankee tax" concept is ludicrous and unfair: Hughes + Melky > Lester and Crisp, and the fact that the Yanks are being asked to include more in their offer is disrespectful (Remember how they initially asked for Phil AND Kennedy.) I know the Twins have scouts that can tell the difference between an ace and a #3; their request to the Yanks is pretty much a sign that they'd rather not do business with them. If that's the case, then so be it.

It's tough supporting both the Yankees and the Twinkies at the moment. On one hand, I'm upset at Hank Steinbrenner for being a pompous jackass. But on the other, I can't believe that Bill Smith is about to trade away the ace of the AL in exchange for some sticks and stones because he wants to look like the bigger man (not to mention the trade will be with the Most Hated Team). If I were in charge here, I would send both sides to time out so they can think about their idiocy; maybe after that they'll find some sense.

...And by sense, I mean maybe Smith will pull Johan Santana off the table! How the hell can any sane GM give up the chance to headline the opening of a new stadium with the 1-2 of Santana and Liriano? Over the past few season I would often consider the impact of my favorite pitcher joining my favorite team, but it never seemed right and I would get rid of the thought quickly. "Because," I figured, "The Twins would be crazy to get rid of their star player--the guy who people pay to come see." I guess I was wrong. Hell, the fact that the Twins ended extension talks so quickly blows my mind. That is not the way to open the first season in a new stadium. Did Smith even get that memo?

In closing, someone on NYYFans summarized the situation as follows:

NYY: $4
BOS: $4
NYY: Alright, $5
BOS: $4
MIN: OK, NYY can you beat that?
NYY: Uh...yeah...$5!
BOS: Either $4 or 400 pennies.
MIN: mmmm, sounds good. NYY, can you beat that?
NYY: I SAID $5!!!!
Others in the room: Yeah, he said $5.
MIN: Well, I'm liking 400 pennies. That sure sounds like alot!
NYY: OK, I'm outta here.

---

So Heroes last night was amazing (highlight between the arrows for spoilers). Ok, I take that back: Heroes was overall awful. The episode was clearly an attempt to truncate a season before it sank, which was good, but they tried to cram so much into it that it felt rushed and sloppy (e.g. -> Hiro's "battle" with Adam. I expected to see something a lot more visually intense <-). I think it was all made worth it -> by Nikki's fate <-. That was awesome; Eddie, Udit, and I cheered like crazy. -> Not only did they off her in the most random way possible, but they made it big, loud, and totally excessive and disproportionate. <- I couldn't be happier for Season 3 :-).

The .622 presentation went pretty well. Questions were minimal for once, which means the profs either were impressed but exhausted, or confused to all hell. I'm hoping for the former. I have some free time for once in this week, but I must use it efficiently and then proceed onto .82 and GRE reviewing. Wahoo!