1) With the Pettitte confession, it has come to my attention that most reporters have no idea what human growth hormone (HGH) is. The bio-student-that-never-was inside of me cries every time I see some professional writer refer to it as a man-made, satanic substance that can only be manufactured from ingredients that grow in 9th level of Hell. I mean, give me a break, guys. Wikipedia isn't
that hard to use.
So, without further ado, allow me to present a brief summary of everyone's favorite drug:
- HGH is a protein that is naturally synthesized in the human body by the pituitary gland.
- It is produced in the largest amounts during puberty, for obvious reasons.
- HGH supplements are very expensive and rarely prescribed by doctors. Generally, only those with GH deficiencies receive them.
- A number of controversial uses of HGH include using it to: lose weight more quickly, prevent aging, grow taller, and to build muscle.
- There is no test to discover if someone is taking HGH supplements.
- As a performance-enhancing substance, it must be taken for at least a continuous two month period in order to see significant results.
- Some deviants of HGH are created in labs, but these have dangerous side-effects. Beware of black market flavors of this chemical.
(Like I said, that's just a brief overview. If you want more, read an encyclopedia or go check out Wiki.)
With that all on the table, I think Pettitte's defense is a little stronger. Since HGH supplements take an extended period of time to enhance performance, it's clear that he couldn't have been trying to pull a Roger or Barry. Yes, it was wrong, but no, his intentions were not to cheat on the mound.
2) It is also clear to me that many people have no idea why the federal government should have a hand in baseball to begin with. The idea of old and angry senators controlling our favorite teams seems completely out-of-place. Well, this may not be entirely true. The Supreme Court ruled in
Federal Baseball Club v. National League (1922) that the organization called Major League Baseball was not interstate commerce and therefore was not a monopoly that could fall victim to the Sherman Antitrust Act (see the full text of the decision here). Congress, after all, has the right to regulate interstate commerce (see U.S. Constitution, Article I). I would say that Congress has some minor oversight abilities to make sure MLB remains state-centric and never interstate. Granted, I'm not sure how drug testing plays into this (other than due to health and legal reasons), but oh well.
3) This isn't a point of wisdom really, but it does involve baseball. In case you haven't heard, former Cardinal Jim Edmonds will be playing for the Padres in 2008, and former Astro Mike Lamb will be on his way to the Twins. Also, Hank Steinbrenner opened his mouth, putting the Yanks back in the hunt for Johan Santana. Good grief...
-------------------
Let's talk a little weather. There's no reason why a ton of snow got dumped on us this morning, only to melt and turn the city into a slushy and aquatic mess in a totally random rise to 41 degrees this evening. I had to take a long way home from the Student Center since Mass. Ave is under so much water that not even heavy rubber boots could save me. Lovely stuff to begin finals in, eh?
Yes, I know I promised reviews of Super Mario Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII, and Pirates of the Caribbean 3, but I need to go back to studying for a few. They'll come eventually.