30 November 2007

The Friday Rundown

Let me open by stating that Jorge's comments about how we need a #1 (Santana) and on Andy "leaning towards retirement" will be as influential on this whole process as I am. Jorge Posada is not GM--he's a player. Players always comment on potential deals (see Derek Jeter circa December 2004: "[Beltran's] one of the best players in the game. But I'm not the owner. It's pretty interesting. I've said it time and time again, but it seems like we're always going to get everyone"), and most of the time it doesn't matter. To say that Posada informed Bill Smith about the true state of Yankee pitching is laughable; Pettitte and the rotation's statuses were never secret to begin with.

The interviews went well today--we'll see what the result is in a few days. Anyway, I introduced myself to three other people today who responded with, "Ohhh, the Yankees guy..." Lovely. Even one of the project managers was on board as she wrote "YANKEES FAN" on my lunch bag and informed the guy who interviewed me of my allegiance, to which he yelled "Why?! What happened to make you do that?!" Oops. Guess I'm not working at Raytheon, then.

On the limo ride back, the other passenger saw my hat and again noted that I must have been the Yankees fan from the tour. This prompted the driver to yell "WHAT?!" and begin a discussion with me in which he threw out irrational arguments about the Yanks ("They weren't competitors this past season! They don't even try! They won't get Johan! You need instant success and can't depend on the Big Three to grow!"); it was sickening. But see, it's not so much that they're so proud that's bothering me--they have the right to still be all happy about 2007. It's more that they're proud AND they still have the inferiority complex! GET OVER IT.

Onward to the daily dose of Santana. Nothing new has emerged from the Stove lately, other than the Red Sox apparently "gaining the lead" with their offer of Ellsbury/Lester/Buchholz, Crisp, and prospects. Yeah. Lead. Right. Like I said yesterday, Epstein isn't losing his big three, and the other players are jokes. Besides, as I informed the driver, rumor has it that Johan would veto a trade to Boston anyway.

A poster on the StarTribune says the following:

Pohlad is richer than even Steinbrenner, not to mention the Twins will be getting a new stadium in a few years that will both increase the value of the team and increase revenues. Why are we talking about this? That’s the disappointing part of being a Twins fan.

I’ve been following the Boston Herald and LoHud blogs and it seems like the Yanks are definitely not going to part with both Hughes and Kennedy, and would much rather trade Kennedy than Hughes. It may be a lot of work to get Hughes out of them, but I think he would be worth it.

Boston will only trade one of the players on that list, and it seems like they’re really trying hard to pawn off Crisp on us, which they know is really not what we’re looking for. It seems to me the Sox are trying to put up what looks like a decent offer, but one we won’t take, because they’re just in it to drive up prices for New York.

The Sox would benefit in big ways if the Twins could pull both Kennedy and Hughes from New York and weaken their pitching lineup even more.

The last line rings especially true. Epstein knows how much of a threat our Big Three will be in a few years, and he's playing the proper game in order to essentially get them out of the division. What a....! Yet, it definitely shows how intense this rivalry is. Hell, we're waging war across another team for Christ's sake!

But I have faith in Cashman--the only pitcher who he'll let go is Kennedy. Smith needs to take it or find some way to resign his ace.