(November 9th) NEW YORK -- Joe Torre's pipeline from the Bronx to Los Angeles already has sent a slew of coaches across the country, and may yet bring some players, too. But sentiment around the Yankees is that Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera will not be among them.
"I think they're coming back," Derek Jeter said on Friday outside Torre's Safe at Home Foundation gala in Manhattan. "That's the best way I can say it."
Jeter said that he's spoken with both Posada and Rivera in recent days, though they haven't discussed the issue of free agency. Posada and Rivera represent the most prominent free agents to come out of New York this side of A-Rod, and the two most likely to re-sign with the Yankees.
Then it was:(November 11th) NEW YORK -- Jorge Posada wants to come back, and that's no pipe dream. Posada confirmed his foremost desire to remain with the Yankees on Sunday night, several outlets reported, and disclosed that the two sides are "really close" to a deal.
"My first priority is the Yankees," Posada told a group of New York reporters at a Knicks game. "I would like to stay with the Yankees. My heart is with the Yankees, so hopefully we can get something done."
"We're really close," Posada told reporters. "It's not about the money. For me, it's the best situation.""[The Dodgers] have a catcher," Posada said. "The only teams that I'm going to is teams that they don't have any catcher, so for me right now it's New York."
Followed by:(November 12th, 7pm, from Peter Abraham)
Just spoke to Brian Cashman: No deals are getting done tonight, so he claims.
So in five hours, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera are free to sign with other teams. You can expect the Mets to come hard after Posada. I’m not sure what teams will chase Rivera as everybody believes he will stay in pinstripes.
But just instants later:New York, NY - Veteran catcher Jorge Posada is going to remain a New York Yankee, as he reportedly has come to terms on a four- year, $52 million contract with the club.
The New York Daily News reported Posada came to terms just before other teams could have negotiated with the five-time All-Star. The newspaper also reports the deal will allow the 36-year-old to finish his career in pinstripes.
And it was done! Welcome back, Jorge!4 years at $52.4M may seem like a lot for a 36 year old catcher, but then you realize that 1) he's all we have, 2) 4 years at that price is better than none, and 3) Jorge Posada deserves to retire in pinstripes. You want to talk insane? How about what the Mets offered him: something around 5 years at $72M. THAT'S a little out of control. Thank you, Jorge, for showing some team loyalty and realizing that you're on your way to Yankee immortality. If only all players saw that...*coughARODcough*.
(Ken Rosenthal has a very nice piece on Jorge's accomplishments and legacy here:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7441218 )
Now only Mariano Rivera is left. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by his quote here:
"The Yankees are my first option. But if that is not possible, there is Joe with the Dodgers."
Honestly, Mo? You'll have no place on the Dodgers--they already have Saito. I'm a little discouraged by his placement of one man (Joe Torre) over the entire franchise. Hopefully he'll come around.
THIS JUST IN:
NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera was offered a $45 million, three-year contract to stay with the New York Yankees. Now, the team is waiting to hear back from its star closer.
Come on, Mo...
Also around the Hot Stove:
- Andy Pettitte officially filed for free agency. This allows him to keep the door open for his return. Now, rumor mill is saying that he may consider the Astros, but then Andy would be pulling an Arod (which I'm sure he won't.)
- Mike Lowell did not come to an agreement with the Red Sox, and according to Peter Abraham, Cashman is taking full advantage of the situation.
- The Twins acquired Craig Monroe from the Cubs in an attempt to bolster their offense and defense.
- Miguel Cabrera, addressing the fact that his name's being thrown around like crazy, said the following:
"I knew that sooner or later this situation would present itself, but I never thought it would be this soon. I understand that this is a business, although I would like to stay in Miami. This is my home; I started my career here and my daughter was born here."
Congrats to C.C. Sabathia for winning the 2007 AL Cy Young, racking up 11 more first-place votes than Josh Beckett. Can you believe that the BWAA actually valued IPs and CGs over the useless Win stat? Who'd ever thunk? At any rate, I'm pleased with this result (and love the fact that Beckett is probably crying about it in his room.)
As for my non-baseball life?
The first ever dry All Zete was a success on Saturday. I'd elaborate more, but I find myself with lots of work to do. So, until later, folks!