Because I was in no mood to make a scene in front of roughly 100 other potential hires and Raytheon recruiters, I decided not to wear my hat during the tour. But then we got into the press box and the guide asked how many of us were Sox fans. Then he asked us to shout what baseball teams we all supported. The urge was too strong to resist; I bleed blue and white even in the Heart of Darkness. So, when the screaming had died down, I yelled from the other end of the room: "Yankees!"
Everyone went silent. Then some people chuckled. Others gasped. Hui Ying and Harvey tried to distance themselves from me.
The tour guide asked who uttered such a foul word, and I raised my hand. Then he asked me for my name. I told him. He responded with the following (yelling it across the press box, mind you):
"Yankees, huh. So you have two options. Either you walk at the back of the line at all times, or your tour ends now." Cute.
The sad thing is that I bet part of him was serious. It didn't stop there, though. During his historical monologue he was sure to mention how the Red Sox beat the NY Highlanders during the first series at Fenway Park, and "thus have been beating that team from New York from day one." He then went on to talk about post-1918 Red Sox, asked me specifically if there ever was a "Curse of the Bambino" (2), and then went on to talk about how the Rex Sox losing the Babe was overrated since the owner traded other players of the championship team to the Yanks, too; he basically framed it as the Yanks "buying" their way to their successes that early. Wow.
But the taunting continued!
- Still in the press box, someone asked him how the reporters are assigned seats. He pointed out that BBWAA members sit in the front, with more senior journalists in the center, and followed it up with: "And AJ, you should be happy to know that Yankees broadcasters sit in the very back." (3)
- In the luxury boxes, he said: "We like luxury for our fans in Fenway even though we don't have endless amounts of money like some teams. Right, AJ?" (4)
- With respect to the Red Sox retired numbers, he goes, "Why do we only have 5? No AJ, it's not because of lack of quality; it's because we have standards."(5)
The most obnoxious part of the incident was the aftermath, however. I couldn't introduce myself to anyone all day without them going, "Ah, so YOU'RE the Yankees fan." Yeah, I am. Your point?
Then I got back to the Hotel only to get more irate at the Red Sox. Hot Stove has it that they have indeed dangled Coco Crisp, Jon Lester, and prospects for Johan Santana. Would Bill Smith be retarded to take this? Yes. Do I think Epstein really means it? No. But do I think the plan is to freak the Yankees out so they make some rash decision to try to block their rivals? Yes, yes, I do. It's business, after all, but it doesn't mean I have to respect it. Refuse to Hughes, Cashman. Speaking of, enjoy this tidbit from the Daily News:
While Hughes hasn't talked to Cashman recently, he does have a message for the Bombers GM:
He wants to stay with the Yankees.
"It's not like you can get a guy like Santana away from the Twins for nothing. It's nice that other teams think highly of me, but I'm very happy with where I'm at. I'd love to stay," said Hughes, who went 5-3 with a 4.46 ERA in 13 starts for the Yankees this year. "I would definitely be disappointed, but it's business."
"It seems like my name comes up every year, whether it's this time of year or at the trade deadline," Hughes said yesterday in a telephone interview. "I've been here the last three-plus years and they've always stood strong that they were going to keep me. If something happened now, it would surprise me."
"It was an exciting change in the philosophy of the way it used to be," Hughes said. "Looking at the guys who came up this year - me, Joba and Ian - we can help in the rotation for years to come, which would be cool. Not many times do you get three guys 21 or 22 years old to fill three spots in the same rotation.
Also, Posada's return was made official today. He did a conference call that I have yet to listen to, but apparently he expressed his desire to remain a Yankee, said he's been talking to Pettitte often, and put in his support for trading for Santana. Pfff. Jorge just wants to catch regularly for the best starting pitcher of recent times (but honestly, who wouldn't?)I have my actual interview tomorrow at 11am, and then I have to get back home ASAP to finish this beastly .31 lab by 5pm. This Friday will indeed be out of control. If significant baseball news comes in I may just explode.