03 November 2007

Indian guys and the Hot Stove

Let me start by saying that although I've been amazingly unproductive this weekend, it feels so good. After the past two weeks I definitely deserve a few days of lazy slacking.

A potential 1-hour excursion to Crossgates turned into something closer to three. But I suppose it was expected since I was with mom and Asha. For the second time in just as many years, I was accosted by an Indian man outside of Borders. The scene played out like this:

(AJ is walking past Borders. INDIAN MAN and his wife are leaving the store. INDIAN MAN stops and turns to AJ)
INDIAN MAN: Excuse me. Have we met before?
AJ: Umm, no...I don't think so. I don't live here.
INDIAN MAN: Oh, you look like someone I know. My name is [whatever]. (holds out his hand)
AJ: Umm, hi. (shakes his hand)
INDIAN MAN: So you say you don't live here. Where do you live?
AJ: Err, Massachusetts.
INDIAN MAN: Oh, Massachusetts. And do you go to college there, or...
AJ: College.
INDIAN MAN: Ah. Where? Amherst, or...
AJ: I go to MIT.
INDIAN MAN: Oh, MIT! :-) Wow. I have a business and work with a lot of MIT graduates. And what year are you?
AJ: A senior.
INDIAN MAN: So you're considering grad school or working or--
AJ: I'm probably going to grad school.
INDIAN MAN: Grad school! Very nice! Well, nice meeting you! (They shake hands again. As INDIAN MAN walks away, AJ gets as far away from Borders as quickly as possible.)

O_o. Compare this to a Borders incident in Cambridge last year, when another Indian guy stopped me to ask what the letters (zeta and psi) meant on my jacket. He then proceeded with a similar conversation as the one today, but went deeper into sketchiness by asking for my phone number so he could call me about job opportunities. I told him I didn't have a phone (a LAME lie, I know, but I was looking for any out I could find!), which ended the conversation soon afterwards. But yeah--why am I attracting weird Indian guys who shop at Borders? Udit and Ayushman, I demand an answer.

Now mom is making me lasagna and apple pie. Awesome.

On the baseball front:
  • Jorge Posada cleared up any speculation surrounding the relationship between himself and new Yankees skipper Joe Girardi, saying: "Girardi was my mentor and he always taught me the value of having a great work ethic and how it was most important to maintain the position year after year." This could mean either of two things. One, Jorge is making it clear that there are no issues between the two in order to increase the Yanks' chances of bringing him back. Or two, he's laying this out so, when he leaves, it's clear that it wasn't because of Joe. I'm hoping for the former.

  • The idiots in Boston on WEEI made some statement about the Twins being willing to part with ace Johan Santana for a package of Buchholz, Lester, and, Crisp. I don't buy it. Above all, the Twins have NO intention on parting with Johan unless Jesus, Moses, and Mohammed were thrown in with brilliant prospects. As a mid-market team with solid chances of going far annually, it doesn't make sense for them to lose their ace prematurely, ESPECIALLY with a new stadium in the near future AND with the return of Liriano on the horizon. Having the one-two punch of Santana and Liriano back will easily put them into contention. Johan's staying; the baseball world needs to find something else to talk about.

    (Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, says: “They’ve [the Twins] made some indications that they’d like to try to keep him and take another shot at trying to sign him.” See?)

    Not to mention the fact that this doesn't make sense from the Sox side, either. Lester and no-hitter Buchholz are two of the top young arms in the game. And since the Red Sox have to meet or beat the Yanks in everything (in this case, young pitching), they won't let them go. Furthermore, giving up those two guys for a slightly older (albeit much better) pitcher doesn't make sense for a team that is not having any trouble with its starting rotation. So shush, RSN.
The Hot Stove is maddening. Talk about Zito going to the Yanks and Damon going to the ChiSox makes you take everything with a grain of salt.