09 March 2008

Brawl Cubed

In the Political Brawl: Bill Clinton said this morning that a ticket pairing his wife and Senator Obama would be "almost unstoppable." He added:

"She said yesterday and she said the day after her big wins in Texas and Ohio and Rhode Island that she was very open to that and I think she answered explicitly 'Yes' yesterday [...]. I know that she has always been open to it, because she believes that if you can unite the energy and the new people that he's brought in and the people in these vast swaths of small town and rural America that she's carried overwhelmingly, if you had those two things together she thinks it'd be hard to beat."

Two things are wrong with this picture. For one, Hillary is simultaneously telling her supporters how "inexperienced" Obama is for the job, that he's "like Kenneth Starr" , and how he's all talk and no action while she's claiming he would make a good VP for her. Come again? And secondly, she's trailing in delegates. What makes her think that she's entitled to call any shots?

This whole thing is yet another plot in Clinton desperation. Clearly, she's trying to get on-the-fence voters to side with her, on the logic that they'll get Obama too if Hillary wins the nomination. This family will truly bust out anything and everything to try to win, and it's driving me mad.

In the Baseball Brawl; Tampa Bay rookie Elliot Johnson rolled into Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli during a play at the plate yesterday, fracturing Cervelli's wrist. Joe Girardi was furious. He said: “I think it’s uncalled for in spring training. You get people hurt and that’s what we got, we got Cervelli hurt [...]. I’ve always known that you don’t do it. I know kids play aggressive and play hard. That’s how you want them to play. But maybe if it happens too much you should mention something.” Rays manager Joe Maddon didn't see the big deal. In fact, he so didn't see the big deal that he refused to answer any questions about the incident until today.

Like I've said before, Spring Training is not the season. Not only shouldn't we make snap judgments about players based on isolated performances, but players themselves shouldn't be acting like it's Game 7 of the World Series. Injuries during ST are painful. Injuries caused by the other team during ST are even worse. Maddon may be excited about his team this year, but he needs to know that there's a time and place for them to play hardball--Florida during March satisfies neither of those criteria.

And in the Smash Brothers Brawl? I went to pick it up last night, and despite poor organization by Gamestop, I managed to survive the crowd. I think I was up until 5pm playing it (which would have been 4am if it weren't for DST). I'll save my initial thoughts until tomorrow.