Good idea: Responding to the closer of a rival team in the following manner:
(From NY Post) It's one thing for owners to have a little back-and-forth like John Henry and Hank Steinbrenner did recently in regard to Red Sox Nation vs. New York Yankees Universe. It's another for a young player to take a shot at an owner.
That's what Jonathan Papelbon, 27, did in criticizing Steinbrenner.
"I don't know if he's trying to stir things up or not," the Bosox closer said. "I sure as hell don't care, because he sure as hell hasn't stepped on a baseball field. He needs to just stick to pencil-pushing, I guess."
Hammerin' Hank fired back yesterday.
"Being insulted by Papelbon is like being attacked by a mouse," Steinbrenner told The Post.
"John Henry and I traded a couple of jabs good-naturedly," he added. "So now, all of a sudden, this player, this 20-something kid who really doesn't know his way in the world, comes out with a personal insult. There's no excuse for that."
+1 Hank.
Bad idea: Playing the money card.
In response to punishments being handed down for the fight between the Yanks and Rays, Hank uttered the following:
"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets. I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."
What an unnecessary and poor-taste statement to make. Flaunting how rich you are and how poor they are is not a way to make friends in the baseball world. Thank you, Mr. Steinbrenner, for attempting to rally the country against our team yet again.
-10 Hank.
If he keeps this up, things should be very interesting in 2008.