02 March 2008

A Pot of Gold

Assuming I get through this week--that is to say, assuming I get through this week satisfactorily--a prize awaits me at its end. What trials block my way to this reward?
  • There's an 18.06 (Linear Algebra) exam tomorrow. I can't imagine it being too difficult at all, but that's exactly what bothers me about it.
  • Super Tuesday II is on, err, Tuesday. Will the Democratic nominee be decided? If not, what is next for the Democratic candidates? But more on that tomorrow.
  • The first 24.00 (Problems of Philosophy) paper is due on Friday. If I was smart I'd pick a topic today, start outlining tomorrow, and only be proofreading on Thursday night. But alas, I am not. Look forward to me trying to write 7 pages on the existence of God all in one evening.
Granted, I've had worse weeks during my time here, but this is as bad as it could possibly get this term. At any rate, assuming I don't slack my way through it, there will be gold at the end of the rainbow...

Yes, I'm talking about the highly overrated but equally as coveted Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Barring any last minute delays (or invalidations of my preorder, as Best Buy did to its customers), I should have it by this time next week. After an over 5-month delay, will it be worth it? That's irrelevant; I'll still spend too much time playing it and will distract half the house. I do predict that the online play servers will initially crash, though. There's no way they're going to handle the initial burst of activity.

-----------------------------------------

Baseball Spring Training is what most fans refer to as "useless baseball", but there is still some merit in it. Obviously, we get to see how all players--vets and rookies alike--are shaping up. I mentioned the other day how Jeter looks like he's gotten a little quicker and how Arod's swing is as sweet as ever. But today, we saw Andy Pettitte throw two quick and scoreless innings; he and Wang will be a deadly 1-2 if they keep this pace. Also, Giambi not only took Cole Hamels out of the park, but he also showed some agility behind first base. These are the things we look for during the early stages of the Spring: signs of growth and an excellent season to come.

Even things like Cano's overthrow today can be brushed off; he gets time to fix his mechanics in March without consequence. What is cause for concern, however, is the Giants' Barry Zito yesterday. Lasting only 2/3 of the first inning, Zito gave up eight runs to the A's, resulting in an ERA of 108.00. No, I didn't misplace a decimal, and no, I'm not talking ERA+. Since this is Spring Training, we won't write him off completely yet. But what I do know is that the only Barry left in SF has a lot of work to do before Opening Day.

(For more statistical fun at Zito's expense: by surrendering seven hits and two walks, he is now the proud owner of a 13.50 WHIP. I bet I know who wants his next start to come ASAP...)