We all knew that the first Yanks-Rays matchup after the previous incident wouldn't be pleasant. It all began when Yankee SP Heath Phillips grazed Rays rookie Evan Longoria with a high and tight fastball. Then good ol' Shelly Duncan had his say too, sliding hard into second and spiking Akinori Iwamura in the knee. Jonny Gomes rushed in from right field to tackle Duncan, and the bench-clearing brawl began (and ended in a number of ejections.)
Good.
I'm not a supporter of the throwing game or fights in the regular season, but I'm all for it during ST. Especially with the Rays. Like I said before, I don't care how psyched you are about your team--you play with fire and you get burned. Did they honestly think that Saturday's incident with Cervelli would go unanswered? Maybe it would have been during the Torre Era, but we're dealing with a new Joe now. Let this be a lesson to all teams: don't mess with the 2008 New York Yankees!
"I can't tell you what's going to happen. I think we'll play the game a little harder. I think it will be a little different from now on." ~ Jorge Posada