That word pretty much sums up the experience. All 4:50 of the game, the hour long pregame, PLUS the parade down 6th Ave were simply incredible. I kinda wish I was there...before I remember the ticket prices and the hassle it would have been to get back home. Watching on my own TV was good enough. Now, in a summary unworthy of the event it was written to summarize:
The pregame was outstanding. It had to have been the best All-star pregame ever. Introducing the HOFers in their respective positions was a brilliant touch, and it was really cool how the current all stars went out to greet them. The "Derek Jeter" chant sent chills up my spine, and for a moment I forgot his subpar season (on that note, the "Yogi" chant was equally as great). And then...The Boss. Albeit it was terrifying to see him looking as he did, it was a great cameo. And you can't forget the ceremonial first pitches being thrown out by Reggie, Yogi, Whitey, and Goose to Mo, JoeG, Alex, and Jeter. Well done, Yankee Stadium. I must admit--I got a little watery eyed during it.
And then there was the game:
- I was very impressed by both Cliff Lee and Ben Sheets. Granted, they were throwing with all they had because they were only going a few innings, but they whipped out some nasty stuff.
- The Creatures stayed true to their roll call standards, only giving them to Jeter and Arod. They also did a nice tribute to Bobby Murcer, and followed it up with "Box seats [and] Red Sox suck!" Nice!
- Jeter's GIDP was the only time I'll laugh at him doing that. You know, I went into the game thinking he would be different, since it WAS the ASG, after all. Oops.
- The LA Angels: finding ways to screw over the Yankees since 2002. Usually they beat us on the field, but Ervin Santana found a new way: giving up the first run of the game on a HR to Matt Holliday. Thanks a bunch, guys.
- J.D. Drew's HR had me terribly conflicted. My initial reaction was to scream "F--- the Red Sox! But at least the game is tied." But now that I think of it, that was kinda unfair. Drew seems like one of the nicest guys on the team; better him getting the shot than any of those other bozos.
- Jon Papelbon totally got what he deserved. In fact, that worked out exactly as I dreamed. The rain of boos, the chants of "overrated" and "Mar-i-a-no!"...it rivaled "Who's your daddy?" of seasons past. And then of course came the blown tie and Paps angry-facing it off the bound to another torrential boo-pour. You know, afterward people were asking if it was proper to boo the "home team" in the ASG. And I say yes: given what Paps did beforehand and that day ("I'm upset because New Yorkers booed me during the parade and made my wife uncomfortable!") he deserved every bit of the fans' torment.
- Rob asked why I was cheering after Pimplebon blew it; the AL was now losing in late innings, he said. But I assured him it was all okay because Billy Wagner was coming in. And he did, and thanks to Evan Longoria, he blew it! The closers of the Sox and Mets blowing it in the same game...it's a Yanks' fan's dream.
- Enter Sandman. The entrance was awesome. He was awesome. Inducing two double plays in the 10th (if only Young could read grounders...)--what a hero among heroes. Papelbon should be thankful he's allowed to play the same position.
- Warning: I'm about to complement two Red Sox in one post. Terry Francona was incredibly classy as AL manager. First, he took on JoeG as a coach. Then he took Arod out mid-inning (he actually called him out of the clubhouse to do this) so he could get an ovation, and he did the same for Jeter. That was awesome. And of course, he put in Mo mid inning and for a second one too, so he could maybe pick up the win. That was all so awesome. As much as he's a wiseass at timea, Tito's no idiot.
- Poor Dan Uggla. He goes 0-4 with 3Ks, and his only contact grounded him into an inning-ending DP. Not to mention his 3 errors (NONE of which ended the game, although they all should have led to it)
. - The Bottom of the 10th proved that Yankee Stadium hates RISP for the home team this season. The AL loaded the bases (thanks to 2 Uggla errors and an IBB) with ZERO out. The game should have been over. But nope...instead 3 AL all stars weakly grounded out, including two plays at the plate. Are you serious guys? Granted, Aaron Cook did his job and kept the ball low, but the best hitters in the league should recognize that and hold off. Instead, they crapped the bed.
- ...and kept doing so until the 15th. I think the AL was single-digits-for-20+ with RISP. Geezus, guys!
- Two pitchers who I really appreciated were Joakim Soria (KC) and George Sherril (BAL).
They were on fire. - The deal with Scott Kazmir was a little ridiculous. If his manager didn't want him to actually pitch in the game, why the hell was he on the roster? Maddon's an idiot. Well, at least Scott went out there and gave it his all; that's being a true warrior.
- Yet, even with Kazmir stepping up, an emergency situation was right around the corner. Since Tito probably wasn't going to send him out for an extra inning, and since Hurdle didn't want to abuse Brad Lidge, the matchup was probably going to be David Wright (3B, NYM) @ J.D. Drew (OF, BOS) if the game went on. Bud Selig can talk all he wants, but he knows deep inside that he would NOT have let that happen.
- But alas, luckily it did not. Michael Young played hero again and drove Justin Morneau home on a close sac fly. Finally, nearly 5 hours later, the game was over, and we all could get some sleep.
As for the epic box: