15 July 2008

The First Half: MLB 2008

Jon Papelbon opened his mouth last night and dared to utter the following:

"If I was managing the [AL All-Star] team, I would close," Papelbon said. "I'm not managing the team, so it don't matter."

"We've both earned that right; us, by winning the World Series and having the opportunity of having our manager there and our team being represented, and Mariano by what he's done for this role, we're in Yankee Stadium and blah, blah, blah," Papelbon said. "It's not that easy. Everybody thinks it's a cut and dry answer, but it's not."

Later on, he tried to correct his error with this goofy act:
Papelbon grabbed the Boston reporter's tape recorder, held it to his mouth and said, "This is Jonathan Papelbon, closer of the Boston Red Sox. Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."
But he completely failed by adding this:
"We have a great relationship, just from the fact that we understand each other and have that mutual respect for each other. I've always referred to him as 'The Godfather.' He's the godfather of closers. He obviously has done a lot of great things for this role. He's done so much to make this role what it is today. I have a lot of respect for him, from that aspect.

"I'm a big believer in paying your dues. If I have to step aside for an elder statesman, I'll do it.

"At the same time, I'm going after it. There's no question about it. One day, I might surpass him. If I said I didn't want to do that, I'd be questioning myself, my own character."
There is so much wrong with that that I don't know where to start. So I won't. Papelbon must be insane/crazy/retarded/all of the above. I hope he gets boo'd out of the Stadium tonight and for the rest of his career.

(Paps isn't even one of the best closers in the league right now, and he has the nerve to insinuate that he should close over Mo? In the House that Ruth Built? Hahaha! I also love the "I want him to have it." I'm sure Mariano is so grateful that he has your blessing, Jon. What an arrogant...!)

The HR Derby was last night, and despite Josh Hamilton putting on quite the show, I just couldn't get on the bandwagon. Ok...so he hit loads of juiced balls into the stands. So did Abreu and Tejada in previous years. But oh, I'm supposed to fall in love with Hamilton because of his story. Err, no, I'll pass. He's not on any team I support, so why should I bow down to the very air he breathes? I feel bad for Morneau, who won via the rules but hardly had the spotlight on him at all. I heard someone even utter that Hamlton was the real winner. Umm, no, he wasn't. He used up all his energy in first round when there were two remaining, and thus he didn't last; that makes Justin the champ. But oh well...

We're at the official (in contrast to numerical) first half of the baseball season, and now is a fitting time to do a midyear review. I'll start by replying to Joe's annual questionnaire, and then tomorrow I'll take a look at the "Thing to Watch" list I wrote at the season's start.

Best Team: Chicago Cubs (57-38). Is the 100th year a charm?
Worst Team: The Washington Nationals. The first team to 60 losses! Looks like a new stadium can't hide pure suckitude.

Biggest Story This Season: The Tampa Bay Rays. Until Sunday, they led the AL East for most of the first half. They even once had the best record in baseball. Who would have ever seen THAT coming?

Biggest Surprise Team(s): The Rays and Twins. TB for the reason above, and the Twinks because they trail the ChiSox by a mere 1.5 games during a season where they were supposed to be garbage. If it weren't for an unlucky series at a certain ugly green park...
Biggest Disappointment Team(s): The Yankees and Mariners. I'll talk more about the Yanks tomorrow, but the Mariners were supposed to be true contenders with King Felix and Erik Bedard. Instead they lost their GM, manager, and a host of other players. Not to mention they're the worst team in the AL.

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton. Life story aside, he leads the majors in RBIs (11 more than second place), is tied for 3rd in the AL with HRs, and is 9th in the AL in batting. Damn.
NL MVP: Lance Berkman. 3rd in RBIs in the NL, 8th in HRs, and is batting .347 for 3rd place. Phew.

AL CY: Cliff Lee. I still don't know what cloud this guy is on, but I can't wait until he falls back to Earth.
NL CY: Edinson Volquez, who's 2nd in the majors in wins, 3rd in Ks, and 2nd in ERA.

Yankees MVP: Ha. We had an MVP? I suppose Johnny Damon before he got DL'd.
Yankees CY: Mariano Rivera. He's perfect in saves this year and I think has only given up one run while doing it. Just stellar.

Biggest Yankees surprise: The revival of Mike Mussina. What a gift.
Biggest Yankees disappointment: The offense and the failures of Hughes and Kennedy.

2nd Half Prediction (optional; on any baseball subject):
  • Rays won't finish first in the AL East
  • Twins overcome the Chisox for the AL Central
  • Brewers don't finish first in the NL Central
  • No one in the NL West finishes above .500
  • Moose reaches 19 wins
In closing: I'm pumped for the ASG in the Bronx!