The Apple Store on Boylston opened at 8am, so I decided to wake myself early for the simple reason of "why not". The largest Apple Store in the country (which just means many floors of empty space) just couldn't sell out so early. I was like 17th in a modest line, but no one seemed to be going in even though it was 8:30 by the time I arrived. Eh? Long story short, they only had a "very limited supply" and had to let customers in one-by-one because they were short staffed. Judging by how the lady kept emphasizing the "limited", I figured that meant they had five, and I had no desire to wait in the humidity for who-knows-how-long only to be told that they were sold out. So as quietly as I came, I left.
I still had some time before I needed to be at work, so I decided to swing over to the Galleria just to see how the line was (their store opened at 10). Not only was it not long at all (only about 13 before me), but it actually opened at 9 for the purposes of selling these phones. And according to the employee working the line, they had a healthy supply and were currently the only store in the state with any at all (the Boylston location had to borrow theirs from them. Hence, the limited probably meant three). So after a brief 20 minutes, I was inside the store and ready to put a hole in my bank account. And here's where the story begins.
First, some background. I got my phone before my parents believed in cellphone contracts (junior year of high school), so I have pay-as-you-go GoPhone service. Instead of agreeing to some x year deal, my dad pays them monthly. Since then and since the merger, AT&T has tried to shun GoPhones while keeping them alive. So, despite the service still existing, it has gotten as sloppy as Greyhound.
Back to today. I couldn't initially activate my iPhone because of the service I had; I anticipated this. No problem, the employee assured me. A quick call to AT&T would set things straight. But that quick call was 15 minutes of circular directions and aggravation, and when Jeff, the customer service guy, finally got somewhere, they told him he was better off talking to them in person >_<. So he went with me across the hall to the AT&T store, where they told me the following:
- Since they don't acknowledge GoPhone customers as true customers, they'd have to put a separate $500 hold on my credit card for a year to assure that I maintained good credit.
- Oh, on top of that, if I wanted to use my current number I'd have to buy the phone directly from them. But they were out until who knows when, so I wouldn't even get it anytime soon.
- If I wanted to open a family plan with my dad's account, he would have to be there in person.
- Even if I wanted to have my own account with my own number, I'd have to endure the stupid year-long hold.
$500 hold? For what? Bull. And as a GoPhone user, what is so damn hard about changing my account type? Talk about pure incompetence! You'd think they'd WANT me to get a contract and would ENCOURAGE me to go that way. Nope! Instead, they say they don't consider me a customer and then threaten to throw obscene fees in my direction. If that's the case, you're not getting my money, AT&T. Enjoy the fruits of your poor marketing!
I told my dad the above story and he called them himself. Well, he says they told him that I couldn't keep my number if I went to an iPhone. Again, ridiculous--if I went to Verizon, a competitor, I'd be able to keep it. I'm going to fight this tooth and nail. And they also told him that they've never heard of this exuberant hold. So the guy at the Galleria was just clueless.
I don't know what the deal is now. But I do know that AT&T is quickly pushing me away, and Steve Jobs needs to end this exclusive contract with them ASAP.
Well, at least I'll have some extra funds for awhile.