07 October 2007

Postseason of Pain

I continue to put my heart and soul into supporting a sports team, only to be let down again and again and again...

Andy Pettitte was brilliant. Getting out of the leadoff triple situation without giving up a run was the most amazing thing ever. Fausto Carmona was nasty. That miserable closer from 2006? Yeah, he doesn't exist anymore. It was a miracle that Melky was able to hit a HR off of him. Anyway, that was all the offense the Yanks needed with Andy going 6.1 in a flawless fashion.

But then came Joba. And then came the bugs.

God apparently doesn't want the Yanks to get out of the first round. Because something isn't right when the team is up 1-0 during the bottom of the 8th and a swarm of fucking flying ants (Canadian midges, to be exact) descends from the heavens and drives your most consistent reliever, and only YOUR most consistent reliever, insane. Yes, he needed to work around it, but god dammit you can't blame a guy for not being able to hit his spots when he's being eaten by a swarm of locusts! What the HELL was going on?!

Our pitcher was getting irritated. Our fielders were getting irritated. Hell, even the umps were having a hard time dealing with it. The bugs were clearly interfering with the game, and yet a delay was not called. Unbelievable.

But alas, I cannot blame the bugs completely for the loss. I'm pretty sure we would have won had they not shown up, but the offense was nowhere to be found after Carmona left after 9. And our middle pen (a.k.a. Viz and Co.) just can't be counted on to hold us in an extra inning game. Just...awful. Awful awful awful.

So the day started with four teams ahead 2-0 and four behind 0-2. The day ends with two sweeps in the NL: the poor Cubbies were eliminated at home, while at least the Phills were all the way in Colorado for their embarrassment. I find nothing funny about this, though. I mean, tomorrow I could find myself as depressed and angry as Cubs fans, and I really really dread that. PLEASE YANKEES pull yourselves together. Please...

(Oh, and thank you K-Rod for delivering the Red Sox yet another win. My hatred for the Angels knows no bounds.)